The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan) Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan)   Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 2:34 pm

bismillah4

190. Narrated 'Abdullah bin Zaid bin 'Abd Rabbih radiyallahu anhu , "While I was sleeping, a man came to me and said, "Say Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! (Allah is the Greatest)," and he mentioned the wording of the call to prayer, repeating the Takbir four times without Tarji' (repeating the rest of the phrases of the Adhan twice), and the Iqamah once {1}, except for the phrase, qad Qamatussalah{2} (which is said twice). When the morning came, I went to the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa (to tell him what I had seen). He said,"Your dream is true..." Related by Ahmad and Abu Dawud, At-Tirmidhi and Abu Khuzaimah authenticated it{3}.

{1}I.e. saying each phrase of the Adhan once, apart from the Takbir which is said twice.

{2} The time for perfoeming the prayer has arrived.

{3} When the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa emigrated to Madinah and built his mosque, the number of Muslims increased, and they were no longer afraid to assemble to perform prayers in public. The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa consulted his Companions radiyallahu anhu about the best way to announce the prayer. Some mentioned raising a banner that everyybody coulds see, others suggested lighting a fire, but the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa rejected the idea as this act is limited to the Magians who worshipped fire. Some also suggested using a bell or a trumpet like the Christians and the Jews, but this was also rejected by the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa as they would be imitating them. But the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa thought for a while and said,Aren't the Christians the nearest in love to the beleivers (the Muslims)?" (Surah Ma'idah), Isn't it less dangerous to do like the Christians than the Jews? Why don't we use a bell until Allah tells us about the best thing to do." He ordered a bell to be made, but 'Umar radiyallahu anhu suggested that a man should stand at the door of the mosque or a high place to call to the prayer in a loud voice. The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa agreed and ordered Bilal radiyallahu anhu to call for the prayer saying, 'Come to the congregational prayer'. People returned home thinking about this issue, and 'Abdullah bin Zaid saw a dream as he narrates, "I saw a man carrying a bell in his hand, I asked him: "Would you sell me this bell?" The man asked, "What do you need the bell for?" I answered, "I would call the people to prayer." The man then said, "Shall I tell you something better?" I said, "Certainly" He said, "Say Allahu Akbar...."When he told the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa about the dream, he ordered him to go to Bilal and tell him to make the call for the prayer (Adhan), for he has the best voice. When 'Umar radiyallahu anhu heard the Adhan, he came out with his cloak, saying, "By the one who sent you with the truth, I saw something similar to what he saw in my dream." The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa then said, "All Praise be to Allah."

pinkheartsmall
191. Ahmad added to the call to prayer (Adhan), what Bilal used to say in the Fajr prayer, "Prayer is better than sleep."

pinkheartsmall
192. Ibn Khuzaimah transmitted on the authority of Anas radiyallahu anhu "It is part of the Sunnah that when the one who calls to prayer says in the Fajr prayer, 'Hayya 'alal-Falah' (come to success), he must then say, 'Prayer is better than sleep.'

pinkheartsmall
193. Narrated Abu Mahdhurah radiyallahu anhu that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa taught him the Adhan, and he mentioned the Tarji' (repeating the rest of the phrases of the Adhan twice) in the Adhan. Related by Muslim, but he mentioned the Takbir "Allah is the Greatest," twice only at its beginning, while the five Imams related the Hadith but mentioned that the Takbir is said four times at the beginnning.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan)   Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan) EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 9:27 pm

bismillah4

194. Narrated Anas radiyallahu anhu "Bilal was ordered to repeat the phrases of the call to prayer (Adhan) twice, and the phrases of the Iqamah once, except for the phrase qad Qamatussalah (the time for performing the prayer has come). Agreed upon.

pinkheartsmall
195. In another narration by an-Nasa'i, The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa ordered Bilal."

pinkheartsmall
196. Narrated Abu Juhaifah radiyallahu anhu , I saw Bilal calling for the prayer, and I saw the movement of his mouth from this side to that side{4}, and his fingers were in his ears." Related by Ahmad and at-Tirmidhi.

{4} He means that Bilal was turning his head, to the right upon saying 'Haya 'alas-salah' (Come to the prayer) and to the left upon saying 'Haya 'alas-Falah (Come to success).

pinkheartsmall
197. In a version by Ibn Majah he said, "He put his fingers in his ears."

pinkheartsmall
198. In the narration of Abu Dawud, "When Bilal reached the phrase, 'Haya alas-salah (Come to the prayer), he turned his neck to the right and the left, but did not turn himself." The original full narration of this Hadith is found in Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

pinkheartsmall
199. Narrated Abu Mahdhurah radiyallahu anhu that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa liked his voice, so he taught him the call to prayer." Related by Ibn Khuzaimah.

pinkheartsmall
200. Narrted Jabir bin Samurah radiyallahu anhu , "I prayed along with the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa the two 'Id (feast) festival prayers, not only once or twice, without Adhan or Iqamah." Related by Muslim.

pinkheartsmall
201. Al-Bukhari and Muslim transmitted something to the same effect on the authority of Ibn 'Abbas radiyallahu anhu .

pinkheartsmall
202. Narrated Abu Qatadah radiyallahu anhu In a long tradition when they missed the prayer because of sleeping, "and then Bilal said the Adhan, and the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa prayed as he used to do every day." Related by Muslim.

pinkheartsmall
203. Muslim related on the authority of Jabir radiyallahu anhu that the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa came to Muzdalifah and prayed the Maghrib and 'Isha prayers with one Adhan and two Iqamas.

pinkheartsmall
204. In another narration by Muslim on the authority of Ibn 'Umar, " The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa combined the Maghrib and 'Isha prayers with one Iqmah." Abu Dawud added, "Each prayer with an Iqamah." In another version by Abu Dawud, "He did not (order the caller to) call for the prayer in any of them."

pinkheartsmall
205. Narrated Ibn 'Umar and 'Aishah radiyallahu anhu "Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "Bilal says the Adhan (for the Fajr) during the night, so eat and drink until you hear the Adhan of Ibn Umm Maktum." The narrator added that Ibn Umm Maktum was a blind man who did not call for the prayer, till someone told him, "The day has dawned, the day has dawned." Agreed upon.

pinkheartsmall
206. Narrated Ibn 'Umar radiyallahu anhu that Bilal called for the prayer before the breaking of dawn, and the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa therefore ordered him to go back and say, "Lo! The servant of Allah has slept." Related by Abu Dawud, who declared it to be weak.

pinkheartsmall
207. Narrated Abu sa'id al-Khudri radiyallahu anhu Allah' Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa said "When you hear the Adhan repeat what the caller is saying." Agreed upon.

pinkheartsmall
208. Al-Bukhari related a similar narration on the authority of Mu'awiyah.

pinkheartsmall
209. Muslim transmitted on the authority of 'Umar radiyallahu anhu the virtue of repeating what the caller is saying, word for word, except when the caller says, 'Hayya 'alal-Falah' (come to success), 'Hayya 'alas-salah' (Come to the prayer), he then says, wa laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa billah 'Aliyyil 'Adheem'. (There is no power or might except by Allah's leave).

pinkheartsmall
210. Narrated 'Uthman bin Abul 'As radiyallahu anhu that he said, "O Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa appoint me as the Imam of my people." He replied Sallalahu aleihi wa , "You are their Imam. Be careful about the weak amongst them{5}, and appoint a caller to the prayer, who does not accept payment for his Adhan." Related by the five Imams and At-Tirmidhi authenticated it.

{5} I.e. take into consideration, -when you pray, the weakest among them (whether sick or old), so as not to lengthen the prayer beyond their ability.

pinkheartsmall
211. Narrated Malik Ibn Al-Huwairith radiyallahu anhu The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said "When the time for the prayer is due, let one of you call the Adhan." Related by the seven Imams.

pinkheartsmall
212. Narrated Jabir radiyallahu anhu The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said to Bilal, "When you call the Adhan, you should pause between each phrase, but when you say the Iqamah, be quick, and leave enough time between the Adhan and the Iqamah for one who is eating to finish his food." Related by At-Tirmidhi who declared it to be weak.

pinkheartsmall
213. Narrated Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "None should call for the prayer unless he has ablution." Related by At-Tirmidhi who declared it to be weak.

pinkheartsmall
214. Narrated Zaid bin al-Harith radiyallahu anhu The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "Whoever calls the Adhan should also call for the Iqamah." Related by At-Tirmidhi and he also declared it to be weak.

pinkheartsmall
215. Abu Dawud related on the authority of 'Abdullah bin Zaid radiyallahu anhu "I saw it (i.e. the Adhan in a dream) and I wished to call it. The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa "Then you call the Iqamah." It is also weak.

Kabbah
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan)   Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan) EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 4:49 pm

bismillah4

216. Narrated Abu Hurairah The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "The call maker is the one who is responsible for the Adhan {6}, and the Imam is the one responsible for the Iqamah{7}. Related by Ibn 'Adi who declared it to be weak.

{6} He is entrusted him with the time of the Adhan, and it is his responsibility to decide the time for prayer.
{7} No one should call the Iqamah except when then Imam asks him to do so.

pinkheartsmall
217. Al-Baihaqi transmitted something similar on the authority of 'Ali.

pinkheartsmall
218. Narrated Anas radiyallahu anhu The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "A supplication made between the Adhan and the Iqamah is never rejected." Related by an-Nasa'i, Ibn Khuzaimah, who authenticated it.

pinkheartsmall
219. Narrated Jabir radiyallahu anhu The Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "Whoever says, when he hears the Adhan: 'Oh Allah, Lord of this perfect call{8} and the established prayers{9}, grant Muhammad the status of Wasilah and the most virtuous place{10}, and raise him to the praised position{11}, You have promised him', will be entitled to my intercession on the Day of Judgement." Related by the four Imams.

{8} This most probably refers to "Monotheism," (which is part of the Adhan) and it is perfect as it antagonizes atheism and associating others with Allah in worship (polytheism), and it is also perfect as it is preserved from being changed or altered. (Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Bari).

{9} The established prayer may refer to its being performed constantly (as it is always called for) or may also refer to the prayer about to be performed. (see Fath al-Bari).

{10} This refers to a status which is higher than that of all of Allah's servants.

{11} It refers to intercession on behalf of his followers on the Day of Judgement
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan)   Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan) EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Assalaamou alaykoum,

This is a beautiful graphic from Booklover. The original post here.

Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan) Adhan110
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan)   Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan) Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter 02 - The Call to Prayer (Adhan)
Page 1 of 1