The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Chapter 01 - Oaths and Vows

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Amy-Amatullah
Bookroom Assistant
Bookroom Assistant
Amy-Amatullah

Chapter 01 - Oaths and Vows Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 01 - Oaths and Vows   Chapter 01 - Oaths and Vows EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 am

bismillah4 

Chapter1
Oaths and Vows

1401. Ibn 'Umar radiyallahu anhu narrated, 'The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa caught up with 'Umar bin al-Khattab radiyallahu anhu when he was with a group of camel-riders and 'Umar was swearing by his father, so Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa called them and said, "Verily, Allah forbids you to swear by your fathers, so whoever has to take an oath, he must swear by Allah or keep silent." Agreed upon.

divider

1402. Abu Dawud An-Nasai'i transmitted on the authority of Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "Do not swear by your fathers or by your mothers, or by rivals to Allah; and swear not by Allah except when you are speaking the truth."

divider

1403. Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "Your oath should be about something regarding which your opponent shall believe you." (424)Related by Muslim.

424. This Hadith is relevant to the intention of the claimant (whether he is a judge or otherwise). The claimant asks the defendant to administer an oath on a certain matter, which he claims to be truthful about. So, in this case the defendant makes an oath with his intention being related to this particular matter which his rival claimed that he is guilty of. This is supported by the following Hadith.

divider

1404. Muslim transmitted, "An oath is to be interpreted according to the intention of the claimant (whether the judge or the defendant's rival demanding an oath concerning a particular matter)."

divider

1405. "Abdur Rahman bin Samurah radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "If you take an oath to do something and later on find something else which is better than that one, make an expiation for (the dissolution of) your oath and then do what you find to be better." Agreed upon.

In the version of Al-Bukhari, ''Do what you find to be better and make expiation for your oath."

divider

1406. Ibn Umar radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "If anyone says: 'If Allah wills' when swearing an oath, he is not held responsible if he breaks it (i.e. he does not have to provide expiation for breaking it)." Related by Ahmad and the four Imams, Ibn Hibban graded it as Sahih.

divider

1407. Ibn "Umar radiyallahu anhu narrated, 'When the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa took an oath, he used to say, "No, by Him Who turns the hearts," (i.e. who controls the states of one's heart).' Related by Al-Bukhari.

divider

1408. Abdullah Ibn 'Umar radiyallahu anhu narrated, 'A desert Arab came to the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa and said “O Messenger of Allah! What are the most serious sins (the major sins)?' The narrator mentioned the Hadith which says “and the false oath.” (425) I asked (i.e. Ibn 'Umar), 'What is the false oath?' The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa replied, "It is that by which one takes the property of another Muslim, and he is lying about it (intentionally)." Related by Muslim.

425. The false oath is called in Arabic Al-Yamin Al-Ghamus (the engulfing oath), which indicates that it overwhelms the one who look it in sin or in the Hell Fire.lt is one of the Major sins which includes disbelief in Allah, killing, magic, adultery, treating parents badly and drinking alcoholic drinks or narcotics.

divider

1409. 'A'ishah radiyallah anha narrated regarding the verse, "Allah will not punish you for what is unintentional in your oaths" (Surah Al-Ma’idah 5:89). 'It was revealed about such phrases as: 'No, by Allah,' and 'Yes, by Allah: Related by Al-Bukhari and Abu Dawud.

Back to top Go down
Amy-Amatullah
Bookroom Assistant
Bookroom Assistant
Amy-Amatullah

Chapter 01 - Oaths and Vows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 01 - Oaths and Vows   Chapter 01 - Oaths and Vows EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:28 am

bismillah4 

1410. Abu Hurairah (RAA) narrated that Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "Allah has ninety-nine names. (426)  He who retains them in his memory" (427) will enter Paradise." Agreed upon. At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Hibban mentioned the ninety nine names, but it is the narrators who mentioned them and not the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa 

426. There are also other names which are attributed to Allah.
427.What is meant is not just memorizing them, but, comprehending their meanings  and implications, observing them in one's behavior and acting accordingly etc ..

divider

1411. Usamah bin Zaid radiyallahu anhu  narrated that Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa said, "If one is done a favor and he expresses (his gratitude) to his benefactor by saying, 'May Allah give you a good reward' (Jazak Allah Khairan) he has fully expressed his appreciation. 'Related by At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Hibban graded it as Sahih.

divider

1412. Ibn 'Umar radiyallahu anhu narrated, 'The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa forbade making vows (Nadhr)(428) and said, "It will not bring (you) any good but it is only a means by which some of the wealth of the miserly is taken out." Agreed upon.

428. Making obligatory on oneself an act of worship which was not originally made obligatory by Allah such as taking a vow to fast extra days or pray extra supererogatory prayers or pay charity when so) and so happens (if any sick person recovers, if my absent comes back etc.)  

divider

1413. 'Uqbah bin 'Amir radiyallahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa  said, "The expiation for a vow (Nadhr) is the same as for an oath." Related by Muslim. At-Tirmidhi has in his version. "If he did not specify it."

divider

1414. Abu Dawud transmitted on the authority of Ibn Abbas radiyallahu anhu, 'Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa  said, "If anyone makes a vow but does not fulfill it, its expiation is the same as that for an oath; if anyone makes a vow to do an act of disobedience, its expiation is the same as that of an oath, if anyone makes a vow which he is unable to fulfill, its expiation is the same as that of an oath." Its chain of narrators is Sahih but the scholars of Hadith said that it is not connected to the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa but it is only the narration of Ibn 'Abbas radiyallahu anhu 

divider

1415. Al-Bukhari transmitted on the authority of 'A'ishah radiyallah anha, "If anyone vows to disobey Allah, let him not disobey Him."

divider

1416. Muslim transmitted on the authority of 'Imran, that 'Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa  said, "A vow to do an act of disobedience must not be fulfilled."

divider

1417. 'Uqbah Ibn -Amir radiyallahu anhu  narrated, 'My sister made a vow to walk to the Ka 'bah for pilgrimage onfoot, and she ordered me to consult the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa  so he consulted him and the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa  said, "Let her walk and ride." Agreed upon, and it is Muslim's version.

divider

1418. Ahmad and the four Imams also reported that he Sallalahu aleihi wa  said "Allah, the Most High will not do anything with the afflictions your sister imposes on herself, command her to put on her Hijab (429) (scarf) and to ride, and to fast three days."

429. It is mentioned in another narration that she made a vow to walk to the Ka’bah. while taking her Hijab off, and that is why the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa  ordered  her to wear her Hijab  and to make expiation as this is an act of disobedience.

divider

1419. Ibn 'Abbas radiyallahu anhu  narrated, 'Sad bin 'Ubadah asked Allah’s Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa  for a ruling regarding a vow made by his mother who had died before fulfilling it, and he Sallalahu aleihi wa replied "Fulfill it on her behalf." Agreed upon.

divider

1420, Thabit bin ad-Dahhak radiyallahu anhu  narrated, 'During the lifetime of the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa  a man made a vow to slaughter camels at Bawanah and he came to Allah's Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa  and asked him, Allah’s Messenger Sallalahu aleihi wa asked, “Were there any idols worshipped at that place (in the time of Jahiliyah}?" He said, 'No.' The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa   asked again, "Was any Jahiliyah festival celebrated there?" He replied, 'No.' The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa  then said to the man, "Fulfill your vow, for there is no fulfillment of a vow to do an act of disobedience to Allah, neither to break the ties of kinship, nor to do something which a human being does not possess (or has no control over)." Related by Abu Dawud and At-Tabarani and it is his version; it is narrated with a sound chain of narrators.

divider

1421. There is a similar narration on the authority of Kardam transmitted by Ahmad.

divider

1422. Jabir radiyallahu anhu narrated, 'A man said on the Day of the Conquest of Makkah, "0 Messenger of Allah, I vowed that if Allah opens Makkah for you, I shall pray in Jerusalem." The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa  replied, "Pray here." He asked him again and the Prophet Sallalahu aleihi wa  again replied, "Pray here." The man asked the third time, and the Messenger of Allah then said to him, "It is up to you then." Related by Ahmad and  Abu Dawud and Al-Hakim graded it as Sahih.

divider

1423. Abu Said al-Khudri radiyallahu anhu  narrated that the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa  said, "No (religious) journey is to be undertaken except for prayer in one of the three Masajid: Al-Masjid Al-Haram, (The Sacred Mosque in Makkah), the Aqsa Masjid (in Jerusalem), and this Masjid of mine (in al-Madinah)," Agreed upon and it is Al-Bukhari's version.

divider

1424. 'Umar radiyallahu anhu narrated, I said: “0 Messenger of Allah! I made a vow at the time of Jahiliyah  to perform I’tikaf (430) for one night at the Sacred Masjid (in Makkah) The Messenger of Allah Sallalahu aleihi wa said to him, "Fulfill your vow." Agreed upon. Al-Bukhari in his version had the addition, 'He ('Umar) spent a night in I’tikaf at the Sacred Masjid in Makkah.'

430. I’tikaf means remaining in a masjid (preferably a congregational Masjid) for a certain period of time with the intention of remaining in seclusion from worldly matters and keeping oneself busy with acts of worship such as praying, fasting, reciting Qur'an, Dhikr etc
Back to top Go down

Chapter 01 - Oaths and Vows
Page 1 of 1