The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful Library & Islamic Resource Center

World of Islamic Dawah: Islamic Library & Resource Center

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As-Salaamu alaikum and welcome readers. Please check our Portal for regular updates and news. Dear readers, you may have noticed that some of our graphics are not showing. We are busy updating broken links and would like to apologise for any inconvenience.

We sincerely apologize for the Advertisements which are beyond our control. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings.

Why not try our Weekly Islamic Quiz?

Interruption Of Revelation, Gabriel Brings Allah's Revelation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaza
Librarian
Librarian
Zaza

Interruption Of Revelation, Gabriel Brings Allah's Revelation Empty
PostSubject: Interruption Of Revelation, Gabriel Brings Allah's Revelation   Interruption Of Revelation, Gabriel Brings Allah's Revelation EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 2:03 pm

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Interruption Of Revelation

Ibn Sa‘d reported on the authority of Ibn ‘Abbas (Radhi Allahu Anhuma) that the Revelation paused for a few days. After careful study, this seems to be the most possible. To say that it lasted for three and a half years, as some scholars allege, is not correct, but here there is no room to go into more details.

Meanwhile, the Prophet (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam), was caught in a sort of depression coupled with astonishment and perplexity. Al-Bukhari reported:

The Divine inspiration paused for a while and the Prophet (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam) became so sad, as we have heard, that he intended several times to throw himself from the tops of high mountains, and every time he went up the top of a mountain in order to throw himself down, Gabriel would appear before him and say: “O Muhammad! You are indeed Allah’s Messenger in truth,” whereupon his heart would become quiet and he would calm down and return home. Whenever the period of the coming of the Revelation used to become long, he would do as before, but Gabriel would appear again before him and say to him what he had said before. (Sahih Al-Bukhari 2/340)

Once More, Gabriel Brings Allah's Revelation

Ibn Hajar said: ‘That (the pause of Allah’s revelation for a few days) was to relieve the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam) of the fear he experienced and to make him long for the Revelation. When the shades of puzzle receded, the flags of truth were raised, the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) knew for sure that he had become the Messenger of the Great Lord. He was also certain that what had come to him was no more than the ambassador of inspiration. His waiting and longing for the coming of the revelation constituted a good reason for his steadfastness and self-possession on the arrival of Allah’s inspiration, Al-Bukhari reported on the authority of Jabir bin ‘Abdullah that he had heard the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam) speak about the period of pause as follows:

“While I was walking, I heard a voice from the sky. I looked up, and surely enough, it was the same angel who had visited me in the cave of Hira’. He was sitting on a chair between the earth and the sky. I was very afraid of him and knelt on the ground. I went home saying: ‘Cover me …, Cover me’ … Allah revealed to me the verses:

‘O you [Muhammad (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam) enveloped (in garments)! Arise and warn! And your Lord (Allah) magnify! And your garments purify! And keep away from Ar-Rujz (the idols)!’” [Surah Al-Muddaththir 74:1-5]

After that the revelation started coming strongly, frequently and regularly. (Sahih Al-Bukhari 2/733)
Back to top Go down

Interruption Of Revelation, Gabriel Brings Allah's Revelation
Page 1 of 1